Friday, June 04, 2004

Words of Wit and Wisdom: Part One

This is an excerpt from a little something I'm working on based on my experinces on "The Project". It's a little out of context but I thought the lessons I've recently learned might be well worth sharing , feel free to steal them or add to them. Or you can just write them off as the babblings of a nut.

...it's not all negative, this experience has taught me a lot.

1. Anger has to be managed, it doesn't just wear off or dissipate like my deodorant. Anger happens, and I'm sure it happens to everybody, how you manage it is what separates you from the animals.

2. I've learned that I can still learn (duh?) that I can develop new skills and take pleasure in knowing more at seven P.M. than I did at nine A.M.

3. I've learned that you can be friends with clients, but clients are not your friends.

4. I've learned that all the crap you pull on people everyday is being pulled on you too (probably by the same people). Once you accept that, you should want to cut down on the crap considerably.


5. I've learned that honesty really is a great policy, but sometimes being honest with people just convinces them that you are up to something. It isn't your fault, like respect, you have to give trust to someone before they can earn it.

6. I've learned that quality takes time, usually more time than you originally thought (or budgeted for). How you handle that, defines who you are as a professional and as an individual.


I hope this doesn't read as too arrogant or in any way pompous (the title is meant to be a bit of a joke).

No comments: