Wednesday, September 29, 2004

Absurdity Bar Lowered EVEN Further!



Click here to read the cnn story. My version is here.

STINKYTOWN, TX

ILLEGAL ALIENS ARE NOW WORSHIPPING FLOTSAM. A fiberglass statue of Jesus washes up on the banks of the Rio Grande and immediately the residents of the town (real name Eagle Pass) are desended upon by waves of 'Pilgrims' who recognize this as a miracle. Across the water in Piedras Negras, MEX the population is (surprise!) largely Roman Catholic and have dubbed the 5 foot statue, (and this is not a joke) "The Christ of the Undocumented,"

"Jesus Christ manifests himself in many places, but he showed himself here in the way of an undocumented migrant," said Marta Ramirez, a spokeswoman for the city's Our Lady of Refuge Church.

"An undocumented migrant, MADE OF FIBERGLASS!! This is not a miracle, crazy lady!" said Toby Wallwork, a spokesman for The Smart Patrol.

"We think it's appropriate to place it in a special chapel." added Ramirez

"I agree" added Wallwork "Right next to the two headed snake, and the potato that looks like Nixon!"

"That's a burn" he added after a pause

EDITORIAL: What is going on here? Any unexpected appearances of the Messiah make me a bit nervous (as a heathen AND a Reverend I figure I've got my bases covered, but still...). I can't help but think that the more signs of the divine that people claim to see, the more removed for the events of the day these people are becoming. As funny wacky things suddenly become symbolic, or signs of bigger movements I cannot help but think that people (and in this case, the undocumented workforce - a vital asset to this country) are becoming more and more disenfranchised from the American dream. If I was more of an edumacated person I'd probably make the assertion that sightings of Jesus going up, means consumer confidence going down.

MIRACLES = TROUBLE

No comments: