Wednesday, March 02, 2005

30 Minute Comics Vol.2 Issue 2

The Chase




The sun beat down on my face making me squint my eyes which were already stinging from the droplets of sweat that had trickled down off my forehead. How long had I been running? Five miles? Seven? It was difficult to tell. My chest wanted to explode, and the waves of nausea were almost unbearable. The only thing that kept me going was the image that had been burned into my mind. None of it made any sense really. First of all, the boogeyman wasn't supposed to exist; and second of all he was only supposed to come out at night. What the hell was he doing chasing me down the street in the broad daylight?

Speaking of which, where was everybody? The only sounds I could hear were the rubber soles of my shoes pounding on the hot pavement, and the faint grunting that persisted behind me. All the stores and buildings appeared to be vacant, and the streets were empty, no cars, no traffic. I wanted to stop, catch my breath, find a drink of water, but I couldn't. I couldn't even turn around and look behind me, because I was terrified that the boogeyman might be right there, just over my shoulder. He would pounce on me, devour me, take me to boogey-land, or whatever it is that the boogeyman does to his victims.

Then all of a sudden, a new sound pierced the quiet air. At first it was a faint and far off, but then it grew louder and more constant.

It was a ringing sound….in fact, it sounded just like my phone…

No comments: