Friday, March 18, 2005

Cheese Friday: Cheese Watch



Tillamook Cheddar

Description:
Tillamook Cheddar is a "Made in America" cheese that is made from cow's milk. The cheese is made using milk that has been heat-treated rather than pasteurized, a process that allows some of the bacteria essential for producing top quality Cheddar to be retained. According to its texture, it ranks among hard cheeses and is also suitable for vegetarians. Tillamook Cheddar is either white or annatto-coloured and is sold in blocks. It is a table cheese but could be used for grating, grilling or baking.
-from cheese.com



Tillamook is one of my favorite Cheeses, and it's available in most grocery stores. I usually buy the Medium Cheddar because my wife isn't the biggest fan of Sharp Cheese (can you believe it?). But I can wholeheartedly recommend any of their offerings. Tillamook is both a type of Cheese and and brand name. It is made in the State of Oregon by the Tillamook County Creamery Association. The TCCA is a farmer owned cooperative. They were established in 1909, but this Cheese recipe has been used in Tillamook County for over a hundred years. Even though it is classified as a hard Cheese, I use it sliced on hamburgers or sandwiches, and shredded in tacos or on eggs. To get the full flavor I recommend eating it sliced without any accompaniment. You can really use it anyway you normally use Cheese. I would call it a multi-purpose Cheese. I'm eating some right now and I have to say it's the perfect way to start any Cheese Friday.

No comments: