Friday, June 10, 2005

Cheese Friday: American History



Homey mac and cheese is an American standard
By Ronnie Fein, STAMFORD ADVOCATE

MACARONI AND CHEESE is the kind of food people turn to when they're feeling vulnerable, lonely or miserable. And when they're in high spirits, eager to take on the world, thrilled with life.
Macaroni and cheese comforts incomparably when you're cold. It's also just the right thing to bring to a picnic or serve at a barbecue. Or eat at home on a hot summer day when your air conditioner makes the house feel like a meat locker.

Whatever its origins, macaroni and cheese is entrenched in American cuisine. It started after Thomas Jefferson brought a macaroni mold home from Paris and served the casserole at a White House dinner in 1802. According to food historian John Mariani, its status as a culinary icon was assured after Kraft Foods introduced Kraft Dinner in 1937.

Click Here for the full article and recipes too!

2 comments:

Jerrster said...

I eat MAC & CHEESE. Not often if I did I wouldn't be nere to comment. I do eat it on occaison generally when I'm depressed. It has some kind of effect on me, I won't go so far as to say it gets me out of depression but it does make it a bit more livable...it also helps to wash it down with a tumbler of 12 year old Blended Scotch Whiskey.

Unknown said...

I'd like to be invited over to Jerry's for dinner.