Thursday, September 29, 2005

Toby: Chicago Days pt.1

It's midnight in California. That means it's two a.m. in Chicago.
I'm making the documentary reel for the Second Annual Chicago International REEL Shorts Festival (CIRSF2). I'm watching a really good documentary about a neighborhood in Brooklyn that goes crazy when it's time to decorate for Christmas. I judged this film back in California and now here I am making sure it get screened. Yay me!
Nels is answering e-mails, a lot of people who didn't get into the festival are complaining because they got an e-mail inviting them to attend anyway. For some reason they are really mad about it. My favorite two e-mails so far were (and I quote):
"First you reject my film, now you keep me on your list... not cool" and that was his entire e-mail!! My response was not kind and included the phrase 'grow up' Nels edited my reply, but it was still pretty harsh.
The second: "No, I will not attend. You are not showing my film 'Jack' and that is your audience's loss." what a pro!
By the way, Scott cashed it in for the evening at midnight, I asked Nels what he had done today, and Nels just shrugged. Unfortunately there is a lot of that. Folks getting by with zero accountability, and I can't just blame Scott for that, Nels doesn't want to get too organized either. Now pause for a second and consider this; I am the most organized and disciplined person here... yeah, I shuddered too!

THURSDAY 5:30pm (CHICAGO TIME) Been awake about 90 minutes. Worked all night until 10:30-11:00. We have Friday and Saturday's shows built and ready. We are still getting e-mails from filmmakers, some are now asking if they can bring a new screener copy of their film, or if they can have 20 passes for their extended family... the answer to each is the same (CLUE: Rhymes with "Go" as in "Go $#@! yourself"). Some of the films are really interesting, the documentary show is particularly strong (sure to be unattended) but Nels thinks overall the submissions were slightly weaker than last year. However he is a bit burned out, and I haven't seen all the shows yet. We are supposed to meet Scott in about an hour for a strategy session where he explains how walking around the DePaul University campus is sure to put asses on the seats (last year he did the same thing, student turn out was low and he had to buy himself new sneakers because his fallen arches were dessimated by the punishment they had endured). Seriously, Scott has avoided making eye-contact with me since I got here (he didn't have very long tho' because he split when the work started). He is supposed to be organizing a filmmaker's breakfast (last year's fizzled due to zero planning) and watching the screener copies of the fest to select the best of show program (which I will be assembling tonight as you all lie sleeping and dreaming the dreams of the just). It's fun to be here and have a mission. I am functioning on a steady diet of pb&j sandwiches and Diet Dr. Pepper. Don't tell anyone, but I wish I had another week of this.

I haven't heard about the TimeWarner Poker video, but I hope Eric made it pretty. In 12 hours no one will care.

More later (wireless permitting)

thePrisoner (come on Andy, give to the Katrina fund...)

No comments: