Friday, September 30, 2005

Toby: Chicago Days pt.2


THURSDAY 9:00pm (Chicago Time)
I just finished the Romantic Comedy Reel (a good show). Nels is trying to figure out if he wants to make little openings and a thanks to the sponsor spot to put in each show. I don't want to. So I try to help him, it's like hitting your hand with a salami (it doesn't really hurt, but you don't really enjoy it either). I'm trying not to get all Mac vs. PC on him, but he doesn't have any decent applications so he's trying to make a DVD using some LE version of Nero from 2001.
Progress does not happen.
Scott arrived (I think it was an accident) and was only 3 hours late (Nels says 2.5, generous guy that he is). I have nothing to say to Scott and I think he knows it. He had to pick up 2 extra tapes for the last day of screenings and uses that as an excuse for his tardiness (he called 20 minutes before he arrived here to ask where the nearest Walgreens is, so I call shenanigans on that).
Nels is trying to edit a music jingle together, so I turned him on to Audacity. It is pretty basic, pretty simple but it doesn't read minds - therefore he had some adaptability problems with it. I can relate, but I am a lot more receptive to instruction than he is.
Scott just called the 3 Penny to arrange dropping off the 35mm reels to get spliced up for the show. His phoney telemarketer voice freaked out the girl on the other end of the phone (it's only her 3rd day at the place) so she handed the phone off. Maybe she thought he was trying to pull the toner scam on her. I have to admit for a second I thought he was too.
Now I do another reel, more to follow.
2:27am - We are making the 'Best of..." reel. I hate to break it to you but we select the best before the very first screening even begins. We have to, there are only so many hours in the day, and only so many folks to do the work. Nels is selecting his favorites, the whole show is based primarily on his selections and input from the other two judges. I can only guess how many films he has sat through in the last few months. I really think the show is pretty good.
I'm pretty beat, we didn't eat until a couple of hours ago and maybe that was too long.

Anyway, it'll all be over soon.

No comments: