Thursday, November 24, 2005

THANKSGIVING


Dude #1:"Hey, nice turkey!"
Dude #2:"Actually it's a chicken"
Dude #1:"I was talking to the chicken"


Thanksgiving is probably my favorite holiday.

'See, folks came here looking for something. For the wacky buckle hat dudes it was freedom to worship in their own debauched, sicky sicky way*. Today people still flood the shores and cross the borders, risk life, limb and leave their homes and loved ones behind (maybe forever) because someone told them there was something better or somewhere better.

Let's be honest, if they didn't come here, strawberries would cost a heck of a lot more than they do. I'm not being crass (maybe a little) but it kills me to hear some jerk on the radio who wants to hop in his SUV and protect our borders from folks whose biggest crime was being too far behind his forefathers in line when the gates to this great nation swung open and inviting...

I digress.

America comes with no guarantees tho'. I must (begrudgingly) accept that nothing is guaranteed or promised or assured here. What we have here is a chance, an opportunity, a lottery ticket.

So if you're looking around your concrete basement apartment, no cable TV, internet or what have you, looking around and dreading the question that always rises up from the dinner table...

"So what are YOU thankful for this year?",
people mean well, and you don't want to be rude, and you know that they don't really want to know how the struggle is getting you down and you aren't feeling particularly thankful for jack squat.

"So what are YOU thankful for this year?",
sure there are people that have it worse than you, but are you supposed to be grateful for that? "It could be worse" is not something to cheer about.

"So what are YOU thankful for this year?",
can't I just say whatever I said last year? What did I say last year?

"So what are YOU thankful for this year...?"

let me give you a pretty safe, fits most sizes, kind if answer.

"'Games not over yet, and I'm still in it". And if you're still reading this then you must be one of the people who knows me, and I'm thankful for you too.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING
call your mother

toby



*Actually I don't know too much about the buckle hat dudes, but whatever they were into, I bet it was wacky.

4 comments:

Andy said...

I am thankful for:

* My awesome wife
* My parents
* My sweet dogs
* Having the best group of friends anyone could ever ask for.
* A roof over my head
* A car that runs
* My extended family
* I can walk
* I can see
* I can hear
* I'm alive

There's more but those are the biggies (in no particular order).

I find that when shit gets me down you truly have to step back and look at what you have rather than worrying about the things you don't.

Not everyone has everything they need. So be it.

And yes, believe it or not, there's a lot of people that would jump over their dead mother to have what you have, no matter how crappy things may seem to you.

There's a ton to be thankful for.

Don't let what isn't around here spoil the incredible things that are around you.

Alright enough sentiment.

Now go suck it ya morons.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!!

Jerrster said...

I am Thankful for even though I have to work on Thanksgiving while all the other people are laying around yelling at family members for one thing or another and stuffing their faces with food...it's comforting to know that I'm helping make Decorative Glass still affordable for the wealthy 1%. (plus being paid to read and comment on Blogs around the world)

...and thanks
ICANN for making it all possible, let's keep it local.

Deb said...

I'm thankful that there are people out there "like you"---who don't take things for granted.

I hope you have a great Thanksgiving, even if you are at work--you know how fortunate you are.

The guy in the picture remindsme of that Perdue guy...

Unknown said...

I am thankful for spell check.

FACE...