Thursday, April 06, 2006

No More Mighty Morning Show

For those of you that don't live in the LA/OC area... I'm not sure what to say. Indie 103.1 is a station that came along and said, "things are gonna be different, the way it used to be". They started out pretty cool, playing lots of punk and indie rock songs from my youth. Plus they sometimes played cool new stuff too. They had DJs like Steve Jones from the Sex Pistols, Henry Rollins, Joe Sib, Dicky Barrett from the Mighty Mighty Bosstones, etc... I allowed myself to get sucked into the dream of a radio station that let the DJs play what they wanted without having management involved. I even rationalized that their association with Clear Channel was good because they would have money to keep the experiment going. But of course, it was all a lie. It's always about the money, and how to get more. Everyone wants a mainstream audience, because that's who advertisers want. I guess I just wanted to believe. The first brick in the wall has fallen. At least I still have Jonesy, but for how long?

I could go on and on about how bogus radio is, about how no one in America has a REAL choice in music when Clear Channel and Infinity own everything. About how homogenized everything has become. But I won't, because I don't want to be that guy. Even though deep down inside I am that guy. Dammit!


Here is Dicky's press release:

DICKY BARRETT FIRED LA'S INDIE 103.1 PULLS HIM AND HIS MIGHTY MORNING SHOW FROM THE AIRWAVES

Why would Los Angeles radio station India 103.1 fire an incredibly successful and much loved host and pull his show from the airwaves without an honest explanation?

That's a good question, one that should be asked until there's a satisfactory answer.


Here's what happened according to Dicky ...

2 comments:

Fig said...

I used to work at the local radio station right out of high school... I had Friday and Saturday nights and they let me play whatever I wanted. I could bring my own music from home if they didn't have it... I had a BLAST! Then they sold out... turned to lite rock (gag) and I quit.

that just sucks.

and DNA... where the hell have you been?

Mr. DNA said...

So were you the "Hot Donna"* of your town?

I've been lurking lately, haven't been able to come up with comments.






* That 70s Show