Tuesday, September 26, 2006

6:00am, John Wayne Airport


My sinuses started draining about an hour ago.
The 20 minute security screening (no rubber gloves this time!) left me not feeling safer about air travel, but more aware of the inconvenience I was creating by traveling at all. I dressed as simply and non-metallically as possible and it seems to have worked, no belt, slip on (and off) shoes, shorts and a smile is just about all I have on. Mind you my backpack looks like an Apple Store took a dump in there. Everyone has a laptop and they make us get them out. You can't help but check out other people's machines. The two business folks on the flight to Denver both rocked 15" Macbook Pros and one of them gives my Powerbook a look over and nods approval. That's called making friends, the TSA types attempt to sound officious and keep us moving and I can't help but think of all those WWII flicks where the guards are all easily duped Sgt. Schultz types. My Egg McMuffin™ was about half as much again as it would've been if we'd gone through the drive-thru that is less than 500 yards from the airport, but their is no included meal on the flight, so what are you gonna do?

That's how they getcha!

--toby wallwork (from Sidekick)

No comments: