Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Fire Story


It would be pointless to pretend that, as location independant as the internet is, The Smart Patrol has no geographic center.

Because it does.


The Smart Patrol is based in Orange County California (yes, the OC) and at the moment we are experiencing some prety intense fires. That photo was taken not 5 minutes away from Mr. Kamikaze's place.

This video is news story from San Diego, the fires are particularly bad there right now, and although they don't physically touch each other, we will all refer to their fires and our fires as "the fires" when we remember them.



So I'll admit, I watched this for some grizzly titilation. Then the reporter drops in, almost as an aside, that his family lived in the house for about 25 years. I haven't lived anywhere anything like that long, so I can only imagine that if you stay in a house for 25 years, raise your kids in that house, even try to defend the house with a garden hose, well then I'd guess that it's something you'd miss if it was gone. So it wasn't quite as entertaining as I had expected. Mr. Himmel, I'm sorry for your and your family's loss.

Our sympathies go out to all our friends, our neighbors and our perfect strangers who are affected by these fires.

Toby

1 comment:

Jenny said...

it's all very sobering.