Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?: Taking pictures on LA's Red Line violates the "9/11 Law"?

Taking pictures on LA's Red Line violates the "9/11 Law": "Keith tried to take a picture on the Red Line in LA, and was told that he was breaking the '9/11 Law' by a metro worker who swore at him and threatened him with arrest when he asked what the '9/11 Law' was.



Him: Hey! It's against the 9-11 Law to take pictures down here man!


Me: You mean the Patriot Act?


Him: No pictures.


Me: Could you explain? What law do you mean?


Him: You are lawyer?


Me: No.


Him: No pictures. You could be a terrorist. Very strict!


Me: How about I take a picture of you?


Him: F**k you...(I couldn't believe it either)


He then proceeded to huddle in the corner and speak into his radio. Next thing I knew, a booming female voice very loudly announced over the loudspeaker 'Attention to the gentleman in the plaid shirt: You are not allowed to take photographs in the Subway. You will be arrested if you continue to take photos and harrass the metro worker.'


I was incensed/surprised/embarrassed/horrified/bewildered. People started staring.


Then the voice continued: 'The gentleman in the plaid shirt: You must approach the callbox near the escalators and speak to the sheriff.' I didn't budge. So she said it again, this time louder...


'Okay' I thought, I'll play along...I went up to the callbox and pushed the button. A new voice this time, this one male, boomed out and said, 'Why are you taking photographs sir?'


Me: 'What law am I breaking?'


Voice: 'You can't take pictures sir, we don't know why you are taking pictures.'




Link

(Thanks, Keith!)



"


(Via Boing Boing.)



Now the Sirens have a still more fatal weapon than their song, namely their silence... Someone might possibly have escaped from their singing; but from their silence, certainly never.
Franz Kafka "The Silence of the Sirens" (October 1917)


Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Translates to "Who Watches The Watchmen?" There, I said it, now I'm on a list. Sorry, nothing funny to add.

thePrisoner (ready to use my camera phone at a moment's notice)

2 comments:

Mr. DNA said...

No wonder the cops pulled you over on your bike last night. That list you're on is already starting to pay off for them.

Anonymous said...

**REPLY REDACTED BY ECHELON™**