Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Ink-and-Iron Festival: Tattoo & Kustom Kulture Weekend

Last weekend Jason and I went to the Ink-and-Iron Festival at Long Beach's Queen Mary. It was a lot of fun but the emphasis was more on the ink than the iron. Jason's Dad is considering getting a tattoo and Jason wanted to vet potential artists. I'm not tattoo'd myself but enjoy the culture so it was pretty cool.



Adam joined us on Saturday and I think it was a really good time. You could tell he was itching to get another tattoo, and I soon realized that Jason was too. Truth to tell, I was getting a bi nervous that I was going to be peer-pressured into getting something done, just to be one of the 'cool kids'.

Adam was hungover.

If you've ever been to the Queen Mary then you'll know that it's right by the hanger formerly occupied by The Spruce Goose, which is huge. I thought that the lion's share of the car and kustom culture stuff would be in there. I really wanted to see some pinstripers and maybe get something to go with the toolbox I picked up in Vegas. It turns out that the hangar was just for bands, practically empty, and a bit of a disappointment. Because we'd run around the tattoo stuff so much (Adam has no shopping strategy) we didn't have a lot of time to check out the cars and stuff anyway.

"I'm a cool kid"

The next day Jason returned to the show with his Dad in tow. I guess Tom saw some pieces that he liked and some artists that he'd consider. However it was Jason that plunked down some bucks and got himself a new piece.

What a Wookie!

And I have to say that it's pretty friggin' cool. I don't want to be there when his hair starts growing back and he's bitching about the itching. But for now, enjoy the new ink.

ThePrisoner (ink free)

4 comments:

Native Minnow said...

That leg looks like it's hairy enough to be its own wookie

Mr. DNA said...

Wookies are gay.

Jerrster said...

from here it looks like Chewbaca has a mouth full of marbles. That might explain why we can't understand him.

Anonymous said...

oh my that is a lot of hair. :-)