Tuesday, July 01, 2008

As it turns out, you CAN live without your cup of overpriced coffee

Image source: Kieron Dwyer, http://www.illegal-art.org/ .



Starbucks to Close 600 Stores, May Cut 12,000 Jobs

By Duane D. Stanford and Joseph Galante

July 1 (Bloomberg) -- Starbucks Corp. will close 600 U.S. coffee shops and eliminate as many as 12,000 jobs, the most in its history, as Chief Executive Officer Howard Schultz slows the chain's expansion after it doubled in size in four years...

...Starbucks' sales and earnings have declined as cash- strapped consumers facing record gasoline prices pull back on gourmet coffee and other luxuries. The company still plans to open 200 other company-owned stores through September 2009.




At first I thought it was funny.
But then I thought about all the real people who may be out of a job.
It made me sad.

So I've decided to pretend that Starbucks only employs evil robots.
Ha ha! Suck it evil robots and your overpaid mechanized overlords!



-Mr. DNA (likes nice robots)

3 comments:

Jenny said...

I'm not crying into my latte over this either.

Jerrster said...

most Starbucks employees ARE robots and since I don't go there I guess I don't really care if they no longer have two stores across the street from each other any longer.

Native Minnow said...

I assume all 600 stores that are closing are the ones that are right across the street from another Starbucks.