Tuesday, March 30, 2004

SCENE FROM A BATHROOM: A short play

INT. BATHROOM - DAY
Toby pulls his toiletries bad from a larger duffle bag spilling clothes. He takes out a toothbrush and toothpaste tube.
There is KNOCK, KNOCK at the DOOR.
VOICE
(woman's)
"Hello? Steve...?"
TOBY
"Uh, no... sorry."
VOICE
"Ahh, who's that?"
TOBY
"Toby"
VOICE
"What are you doing in there?"
TOBY
"Uh, I was.."
VOICE
"You're not supposed to use that bathroom,
it's a private bathroom. You're not supposed to use it."

TOBY
"I, uh, I have a key. I got a key from the landlord"
VOICE
"I don't understand why he gave you one.
That's a private bathroom"

TOBY
"I guess I need to talk to him then"
VOICE
"I guess so, because that's a private bathroom"


Toby looks at the door. If he had x-ray vision he would see that the voice's owner has not left. He does not have x-ray vision.

TOBY
"So, I guess I need to talk to the landlord, then..."
VOICE
"I don't know why you'd have a key.
You shouldn't be in there... It's a private bathroom"


A pause. Again, Toby attempts to use his x-ray vision, to no avail.

TOBY
"I'll be right out, I don't have any pants on"

This is a lie, Toby does have pants on, but no shirt. The VOICE does not answer.

TOBY
"So I'm gonna need a minute or two"

If Toby did have x-ray vision, he would see that the owner of the voice had left.

Moments later, Toby LEAVES.

No comments: