Monday, September 13, 2004

FLASH: Sucker Steals MY Identity - Ha Ha Ha!

THIS JUST IN:
I just got a call from George at my bank. Really nice guy but it seems that we're always talking when it's bad news.

Usually I'm overdrawn and George is nice enough to assume that I made a small bookkeeping error and we fix it right up. This time George was delivering the bad news. I am the victim of identity theft.

My debit card (what I carry in lieu of cash) may have been compromised and has therefore been cancelled. My new card will arrive right around halfway through my trip to Chicago or more accurately, right in the middle of me not being able to get it.

This means that except for a $20 bill that Craig gave me for my birthday, I have no cash or access to it on the eve of my big trip. GREAT

Not that there is any money in my account anyway but now the checks that I am waiting for, and hoping Guy can deposit in my absence, will contain funds that are off limits until this is resolved.GREAT

George also mentioned that there may be as many as 5 or 6 million victims in this particular case, since it seems databases has been compromised.GREAT

I only hope that SBC and Nextel are as prosaic about this turn of events as I am, because I can't pay them, GREAT

tw



No comments: