Friday, July 22, 2005

The Chronicles Of Work: H.L.I.F.

Epilogue to Thursday:
After getting back to the hotel I discovered to my dismay (albeit expectant dismay) that one of the many Rotary Club clients that come to the hotel (and no, they have nothing to do with brakes, who knew - hmm) asked to have pipe and rape put up for their event - the magic show.

This would be no big deal one little run of it and I'm out. However, these are the same guys that asked for it first off - I said cool I'll get it done. Then a day later said they didn't need it - awesome, less work for me. The day after that, it was back on the order. Dateline: Thursday morning - they don't need it. So I'm off to a meeting.

(Tangent: Meetings. I hate them. I think having a meeting once a month just to say hey see how things are going is fine. But when they keep coming one after the other, then those meetings spawn more meetings about what was discussed at the last meeting - this makes Puma go nutso. So when I have a meeting I do my best to go to it, nod my head and skulk out as unnoticed as possible)

During the meeting the hotel calls. (I know its the hotel because of the ringtone on my phone. This whole separate ringtone for people you don't wanna hear from is simply sweet as sweet can be by the way.) Guess what, they want the pipe and drape back. Cue me and another guy rushing off to the hotel. The other guy goes and picks up the truck with the pipe and I run to the hotel to get the "rape" ready. (Tee-hee) I go to the room ask where it goes, they say here, I say great, then... 5 minutes later a guy comes over and says, "Ah, forget it, we really don't need it - it's too late now. If it was up on time, we would have used it." Doing my best to hold in my "HOGAN!!! / ROBOT HOUSE!!!" (Colonel Klink's exclamation and the dean from the robot college on Futurama - ah forget it) I call the guy coming with the truck he aborts, I abort and Thursday goes out like a slowly deflating swimming pool.

Hello Friday:
I'd say T.G.I.F. or something but with this job there's no such thing as a god that allows weekends. It's more like H.L.I.F. - "Hey Look It's Friday".

I wake to the sound of classic rock screaming at me from our $10 Target alarm clock thinking, sweet I can sleep in. Roundabout 7:30, it's the ringtone. I answer to Herminio's slightly panicked (he kinda gets this jittery nervous inflection in his voice when anything even remotely techy comes his way) voice asking "They can't feegure out how to turn on the proyector in the room , can you come down and show them." After letting out a sigh and hanging my head (ala Tom Dooley), I tell Herminio that the button inscribed with "Standby/On" is the one they want - I hang up.

Fast forward, or more like crawl forward (it is pre-10a.m. after all, every sane person's preferred earliest time to wake up) and the ring comes back. This time its, "Hi my freend, the proyector, iss shaking now, like all the time." I do my best Willace Drummond "Say What!" and tell Herminio I'll just come down. So I straighten out the unintentional morning "fauxhawk' I always get, throw on half of the "All-Blacks" (this time with shorts because it's mucho caliente already) and head down.

While I'm drving down I'm realizing these guys are the guys who build big industrial power tools. Like the designers are there, big math guys who can figure the land speed of the North African swallow but can't find the On button on a projector. This rant gets me awake and I feel better as I pull up. I see Francisco, the stocky Mexican housemen, he says something about a table - again (I think there's a developing fetish in there somewhere for him) and I go to the room. The projector is on, there's no quaking, all is well. I have no idea what this shaking "proyector" was all about but, oh well, I'm awake now. So as my reward I grab a free cheese Danish and head off to tear down the stuff from the day before. I'm done, I'm outta there and I head out to meet the day.

I go see "The Devil's Rejects" (I'm a sucker for horror movies good or bad. I just love 'em and I don't know why). The movie was good(?) At the very least it's hard to put my finger on it, but I talked about it all day so I guess I liked it - I think.

Move up to an hour ago 10 p.m. (You see this job is a going back and forth kinda thing over and over, day after day. It's nice to have some time off here and there during the day, but sometimes it seriously cuts into my stealing music from the internet time, and I think we all know how important that is) I go back to the hotel to help take the "pipe and rape" down with guys from another company. One of the kids looks like Mowgli from "The Jungle Book" and I think to myself, "Hey I love that movie, it's my favorite animated movie ever, this has turned out to be an alright day - sweet!" We get it packed up and on a truck heading for a show in Minnesota and I'm back here typing away listening to the "They Live" score. (Another great movie, despite what some people may tell you)

I have a weekend this week - kinda, so I'll be back on Monday to let you know how the Plant Growth Researchers Of America show goes - yes it's a real group.

No comments: