Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Is this really a shock???



"Payola Shocker: J-Lo Hits, Others Were 'Bought' by Sony"

excerpt from Sony internal memos:

"Please be advised that in this week's Jennifer Lopez Top 40 Spin Increase of 236 we bought 63 spins at a cost of $3,600."

"Please be advised that in this week's Good Charlotte Top 40 Spin Increase of 61 we bought approximately 250 spins at a cost of $17K …"

Am I just cynical or is this just more proof of what we all already know? Every few years another story comes out claiming, "Payola Shocker". Anyone who thinks payola is dead, is naive.

To read more Click Here

*UPDATE* Sony BMG settles in Payola scandal Click Here

1 comment:

Unknown said...

In an odd way this is good news. For some time I have been feeling very old and out-of-it because my musical tastes have seemed so out of step with mainstream America. To discover that mainstream America's musical tastes are being augmented with Sony dollars... what a relief! Now I can listen to NPR and feel rightfully superior, except at pledge time when I play a cd of illegally downloaded mp3s. I am the pseudo intellectual elite(ist)

thePrisoner (never HAD to pay for it)