Thursday, May 29, 2008

Straight From The Hip: Me or Al Qaeda, you can't have both.


BOSTON (AP) -- Dunkin' Donuts has pulled an online advertisement featuring Rachael Ray after complaints that a fringed black-and-white scarf that the celebrity chef wore in the ad offers symbolic support for Muslim extremism and terrorism.

The coffee and baked goods chain said the ad that began appearing online May 7 was pulled over the past weekend because "the possibility of misperception detracted from its original intention to promote our iced coffee."

In the spot, Ray holds an iced coffee while standing in front of trees with pink blossoms.



"Listen Up America, this one comes straight from the hip!"

I've had it up to here with these so-called celebrities flaunting some kind of double standard in the face of good and decent people like you and me. You can call me a square, or a squid, hey, I've been called out-of-touch, I've been called troubled, I've been called delusional, and it doesn't bother me because I know what I know.

Rachel Ray, if you've thrown your hat in with these Al Qaedas and their ilk, when then you have officially lost this guy as a proud card-carrying member of your fan club. Now some folks might think it's a little extreme, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

Rachel, I hope that you come to your senses soon, I can understand that these Al Qaedas might seem fun and glamoury, heaven knows that I have felt the allure of tinsely-town and its 'A-listers' so believe me, I know what you are going through. But Rachel, this is no way to be popular, this is no way to get back at your parents or get yourself a little attention.

I'm reminded of something that came from my dear old mother, a constant source of wisdom and advice in my life. The details are cloudy, but when I use my mind's eye I can still see her put down her wine glass beside that oversized ashtray, and using the half burned filter-less Pall Mall, (her brand at the time) for dramatic punctuation, she aimed her good eye (left) on me and said "Ernie, those people are not your friends".

Now, I don't know exactly why she called me Ernie, I assume because it was already after nine at night, but the sentiment is still valid.

Rachel Ray, those people are not your friends. We love you sweetie, we need you here with us.

I'm thePrisoner, and this one comes straight from the hip!

1 comment:

Jerrster said...

ever taste the coffee at Dunkin' Donuts? I have no clue how they can get the coffee hotter than boiling water but they do. Recently, I was told it was worse than drinking a scalding cup of Panther Piss. (I didn't ask the obvious question "how would you know that?")I just gave him my spare change and made a resolution not to stray so far away from my car next time.