Saturday, March 12, 2005

30 Minute Comics Vol. 2 Issue 10

Expect the Unexpected



Do you ever think to yourself, how did I end up in this situation? How is it that I came to be in an empty warehouse hiding among garbage with an angry rabid dog chasing me?

There had been nothing unusually horrendous about the earlier part of my day to tip me off to what I had coming. In the morning, my alarm had gone off, I had awoken begrudgingly, and as usual it took only a few seconds of consciousness to remember how crappy my life was. I went to work, ate a bad sandwich at my desk, and pretended to be interested in what my co-workers were saying. Finally it was time for me to go home, I got in my car, got about five minutes away from home, and then wouldn’t you know it – I ran out of gas. Perfect timing. So out comes the old five gallon from the trunk, and as I’m bracing myself to walk the 20 blocks to the gas station, I see him. He looks kinda like a chocolate lab, only his coat is shaggier than it should be. I give the pooch a half smile and start walking. The dog starts following me. I walk faster. The dog walks faster. I could see where this was going and in a moment which I can only credit to childlike panic I break out into a sprint. That in retrospect was a mistake. Huge mistake. The dog starts running too, but after five seconds of pulling a Flo Jo I get a stitch in my side. I’m freaking out. I push past an open gate surrounding an empty warehouse. I guess the idea was that there would be walls and doors that I could put in between me and that dog. No such luck. All the doorways in this place were gaping and empty. Not a single door in the place. I loose all rational sense and get into the fetal position in a corner of a room. I can hear his nails clacking on the floor. Oh God he was coming. He stuck his head around the corner, and it is then I see that he has my car keys in his mouth. He drops them on the floor, barks, and runs off. Maybe it wasn’t such a bad day after all.

No comments: